Work Camp  1768 L

Note: The POWs shown below probably worked at 1768/L, but some of them  may relate to nearby Work Camps.

Location: St Ulrich

Type of work: Farmwork

Man of Confidence: Unknown

Number of Men: approx. 10

Known to be present

Fred Bundy Sgmn R Sigs 4111 Walney Island, Barrow, UK
Alexander ('Darkie') Covich Pte   7143 New Zealand
Charles Frame Pte RASC 8233  
Wilf Isaacs Gnr RA 5002  
Frank ('Johnny') Johnson Sgmn R Sigs 4112  
Colin Arthur Jones Smn RN 4677 HMS Gloucester
Max ('Red') Larsen Gnr   4108 New Zealand
Bill ('Duce') Padgett Rfmn Rifle Bde 5991  
Charley ('Smudge') Smith Pte RM 6267  
Ted ('Slick') Stanger Dvr RASC 6811  
Jack ('Doc') Taylor        
Group 1 Group 2 Group 3 Group 4
Group 5 Taylor & Larsen Fred & Johnny Fred & Johnny
  Ted Stanger Charley Smith Fred Bundy
Frank Johnson Charley Smith Fred Bundy  
Alexander Covich Isaacs & Frame Bill Padgett Jack Tylor
Local farm boys Local children    
Unknown Unknown Unknown Charley Smith

The following account is part of part of a school project created by Fred Bundy's grandsons from his own account.

Following capture at Kalamata, Fred, along with Frank 'Johnny' Johnson ended up at Stalag 18B at Marburg.

Eventually ten of the prisoners including Fred and Johnny were moved out to work and live on farms, five of them from New Zealand and the other five from England. They all got on extremely well and stayed together for the remaining years of their captivity, sharing everything including their parcels from home.

This stay lasted nine months ending in a move to the nearest village where they each worked on separate farms. Fred was unguarded by this time but had no ambitions of running away which would have resulted in his death if captured.

The people on this farm treated him well and fed him as much as they could. Food was obviously scarce as they had to provide most of what they had to the Germans. All ten men stayed on their farms for twelve months and then had to walk fifteen miles through thick snow to yet another, much larger farm.

This new farm was a terrible place with much stricter guards but luckily they soon moved on for another two miles to join twenty new prisoners captured in Italy. Fred worked on two farms in the village, the first being filthy with awful food and the second became his home for the rest of his time as a prisoner of war.

The prisoners began to sense that the war was nearly over and one morning they were told to pack up and move on. They marched to a nearby town along with hundreds of men and then told to hike. Fred was on the move again, this time for six weeks, travelling about 20 miles a day and sleeping in farm lofts.

They had little food other than what they could scrounge and lived mainly on dandelion roots and boiled nettles. As they neared their destination a group of high ranking officers from Colditz passed by under heavy guard and shouted to confirm that the war was indeed almost over.

They arrived at Markt Pongau and thousands of men were herded together in cramped conditions, but instead of being sent on they were left unguarded as, amazingly, the guards had all left. There was no formal release and no resistance from the guards and at last, after four years and one month in captivity, Fred was a free man again.

(Thanks to Gary Bundy (son of Fred Bundy) and Paul Cavanagh for providing the details.)

Return to top of page
Return to last page