Work Camp  940 GW

Location: Trieben

Type of work: Brick factory

Man of Confidence: A.S.M. Robertson (Feb 1943), E Hill (Sept 1943 -)

Number of Men: 73 - 80

Known to be present

Edward Armstrong Bdr RA 6840 injured air-raid 10/44
Jack Ashby Cpl RASC 1636 Orpington, Kent; transf'd to Stalag 383
A Brown Pte      
Robert Bertram ('Clive') Dunn Tpr RAC 2247 Also 970/GW
W. Eilbeck Spr RE 1920  
Henry Ferguson Pte RASC 2219 Scotland; also 955/GW
Alfred Fox Spr RE 2356  
W. Guiller Cpl RAVC 1978 Transf'd to Stalag 383
James William Hayes Pte RAVC 2429 killed air-raid, 10/44
Ernest A Hill L/Cpl RE 1972 MOC
Thomas Albert Hill Spr RE 2072  
Sidney James Ingleby Dvr RASC 1709  
Lesley Bertram Jackson Sgmn 1 Cps Sigs 3551 Australia
? Jones        
James T. Joyce Gnr RA 2254 London
? Knight        
Stanley J Lavery Pte 2/28 Inf. Bn. 6410 Australia
Edward McGrath Pte 2/1 Fd. Rgt. 755 injured air-raid 10/44
Douglas Mitchell Pte RAVC 1623 killed air-raid, 10/44
Robert Mitchell Bdr RA 7567 injured air-raid 10/44
George Napier Cpl RAC 7584 injured air-raid 10/44
C.W.E. Plimmer Cpl RAVC 1982 Transf'd to Stalag 383
T.H. Prevette Dvr RASC 1909  
Christopher Ernest Roberts Dvr RASC 3498 Tredegor, S. Wales
A.S.McD. Robertson Gnr RA 2157 MOC
Frank Rock Tpr RAC 2277 Birmingham; also 970/GW
J.L. Rutherford Spr RE 2230 Galashiels, Scotland
Joe Sanderson L/Cpl RE 2229 Galashiels, Scotland
G.H. Sewell Pte RAVC 2103  
? Shelton        
Eric George Simms Dvr RASC 2212 London; also 1042/GW, 180/GW
George T. Swan Spr RE 1676 Peebles
R.C. Walker Cpl RE 1539 Edinburgh
Stanley E. Warner Pte RASC 2175  
Stephen F. Whitfield Dvr RE 1928 Wigan
William John Wilson Pte 2/3 Fld. Co. 6453 Melbourne, Australia
ingleby01.jpg (616376 bytes)
lavery.jpg (51099 bytes) abrown.jpg (43389 bytes)



(Photos provided by Joyce Purvis, daughter of Henry Ferguson, Hugh Lavery, son of Stan Lavery, Stephanie Mineau, granddaughter of Stephen Whitfield and Ian Packwood, son-in-law of Thomas Hill.)

Date of visit: 31 October 1941

General Description

The 80 British POWs in this work camp are all working in a brick factory. They work in two shifts, from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m., and from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. No-one works more than 8 hours daily. They are free on Sundays except 11, who have to work two Sundays monthly. This was stated to be due to the changing of shifts. The matter could not be discussed with the employer, as the visit was made late in the evening, but the apparent violation of Article 30 of the Convention was pointed out to the German Camp Leader, who promised to tell the employer. The matter will also be brought to the attention of the German High Command. The regular wages paid are RM 4.20 per week, but skilled workers were stated to receive more.

Interior arrangement

The men are living in a specially built wooden barrack containing two sleeping and living rooms and a kitchen. The rooms are furnished with double tier beds, benches and tables. They are well lit and heated. The impression is quite good although the rooms are a little crowded. There were, however, no complaints on this matter, and the air space is sufficient. Each man had two blankets.

Bathing and washing facilities

These were somewhat primitive, but it was stated that better ones are planned. There is, however, already a good shower room in the factory where warm showers are provided once a week. 

Toilet facilities

The latrine of the pit type is satisfactory.

Food and Cooking

The food is prepared by two of the British prisoners in the small and well-equipped kitchen. The men receive the ration as 'heavy workers', and it was stated that the food is sufficient and not bad.

Medical attention and sickness

All the men are in good health. Medical attention is provided by the local German physician.


The prisoners were at the moment rather badly off with clothes. Their uniforms are rather worn, and the shoes needed repair. All had two pairs of quite good underwear. A list of needed things had, however, just been sent to the Stalag, and they hoped to receive new outfits any day.

Recreation and exercise

No books or games of any kinds have been sent here. The camp leader promised to apply for some games from the Stalag as soon as possible. They would also much appreciate some hymn books and some more prayer books sent.


Mail is coming in regularly and Red Cross parcels have arrived in sufficient numbers to allow one parcel per man weekly. They had so far only been allowed to write 2 letters and 2 postcards monthly, but this was found to be due to a misunderstanding of the order, and the matter will apparently be settled immediately.

General impression

On the whole the camp made a good impression, and the camp leader seemed to be anxious to do what he could for the prisoners.

Date of visit: 17 February 1943

Changes from the last visit:

Showers can be had every day in the work.

The prisoners are looked after by a British medical orderly. dental care is given by a civil dentist. He does extractions and fillings. For dentures, the men have to be sent to the Stalag.

The men play football outside their camp. The German NCO who is in charge of the camp, has arranged that they can go to a cinema from time to time.

The British Man of Confidence wanted to be informed whether the making of bricks for the furnaces in steel-works can be considered as forbidden war-work. The inspector could not answer directly this question.

Date of visit: 3 September 1943

Changes from the last visit:

A cobblery has been built in one of the barracks.

There is a convenient sports ground adjoining the camp. In summer the men went swimming.

Four men came to see the delegate of the Protecting Power with special complaints. Three of them had been sent out here with the mention that they should do light work, but as there is no light work in this factory, the accompanying Officer gave the order to the Kommandoführer to send them back to Stalag. The fourth had been in Stalag already for a few weeks as he had suffered from dermatitis. The Accompanying Officer agreed with the delegate that this factory, where the men work in constant dust, was not a place for a man who already again showed signs of his former disease. So he will return to Stalag also.

This camp which had been visited by the delegate in February and then showed signs of moral unrest and strain has now settled down and the spirit and the physical conditions are excellent.

The death of James Hayes, October 1944

On 16th October, 1944, there was an Allied air-raid on the brick factory at Trieben. Three POWs were injured and two, James Hayes and Douglas Mitchell, were killed. Below are copies of the letters sent to James Hayes' wife from Padre John Ledgerwood, Ernest Hill, the Man of Confidence, and Bert Jackson, one of his friends.

Photo and letters supplied by Pete Wood, whose wife is James Hayes' grand-daughter.

Padre Ledgerwood Ernest Hill 1 Ernest Hill 2 Bert Jackson James Hayes & Bert Jackson


Return to top of page
Return to last page